2014 Advanced Fellowship
Applications are closed
The M+Visión Advanced Fellowship in Translational Biomedical Imaging is an innovative Fellowship aimed at combining academic and market-oriented research. Ten Advanced Fellowships will be awarded.
Note: The Madrid-MIT M+Visión Consortium now offers two fellowships: The 2014 Fellowship for individuals who want a transformative experience, working with other Fellows, to define and develop a research agenda; and the Advanced Fellowship for individuals who have a research proposal that they want to realize through resources and collaborators in Madrid and Boston. Applications for the M+Visión Fellowship are due April 30, and applications for the Advanced Fellowship are due May 21.
The Advanced Fellowship aims at strengthening the career development of researchers and specialists in the area of biomedical imaging through fellowships to develop translational research projects in host organizations (such as universities, research centers, hospitals or companies—see a list of possible hosts here at http://mvision.madrid.org/advancedfellowship#hosts). Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for the Fellowships. Official Call for Applications, published by Comunidad de Madrid (PDF) +
- Doctorate or at least 4 years of full-time equivalent research experience. Full-time equivalent research experience is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree that would formally entitle him or her to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the research training is provided.
- Experience in some aspect of biomedical imaging
- English fluency
There are 2 types of Advanced Fellowships:
- Outgoing fellowships for residents of Spain that have not resided in the US for more than one year in the previous three, in which fellows will perform the first year of fellowship (Academic Research) and the first year of Market Oriented Research in the U.S. hosted by institutions of MIT or Madri+d networks. Subsequently fellows will initiate the return phase completing their research project in the selected hosting institution of Madrid (12 months of Market Oriented Research).
- Incoming fellowships for candidates that have not resided in Spain for more than one year in the previous three, in which fellows will perform both Academic Research and Market Oriented Research in hosting institutions located in the Region of Madrid.
3 Outgoing and 7 Incoming Fellowships will be available in 2014.
The overall compensation will be approximately €43,000, plus €2,300 as an academic stipend and €3,300 as travel stipend for the first year. In subsequent years under a contract with the hosting institutions, the compensation will correspond to an employer cost (including social security charges) of €65,000, plus €2,300 as an academic stipend and €3,300 as travel stipend.
There are many institutions in Madrid available to host Advanced Fellows, including those listed here. A contact person for each site can describe the organization and its facilities. Questions about the Advanced Fellowship program should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Center for Biomedical Technology (CTB) Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (contact: email@example.com)
- Centro de Micro-Análisis de Materiales- Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Site info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Centro Nacional de Biotecnología (Site info contact: email@example.com)
- Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares, Study of ageing of stem cells (Site info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares, Image processing for “High Content Analysis” (Site info contact: email@example.com)
- Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares, Unit of Microscopy and Dynamic imaging (Site info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares, Advanced multimodal preclinical cardiovascular imaging: PET (Site info contact: email@example.com)
- Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares, Advanced multimodal clinical cardiovascular imaging: MRI (Site info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas (Site info contact: email@example.com)
- Hospital Ruber Internacional
- Hospital Universitario de Fuenlabrada
- IMDEA Nanociencia (Site info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas "Alberto Sols" (CSIC/UAM): Preclinical Multimodal Image Laboratories (Site info contact: email@example.com)
- Instituto de Óptica (CSIC) (Site info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Instituto Tecnológico PET (Site info contact: email@example.com)
- Janssen Research & Development (Site info contact: IANDRES@its.jnj.com)
- Medlumics (Site info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Next Limit Technologies (Site info contact: email@example.com)
- Sedecal (Site info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Site info contact: email@example.com)
- Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia (Site info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Universidad Politécnica de Madrid - Biomedical Imaging Technologies Group (Site info contact: email@example.com)
- Universidad Politécnica de Madrid - Laser Centre (Site info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
In addition, the M+Vision network includes other university, hospital, and private research and development organizations in Madrid; lists can be found on our network page, and in the agenda of our Madrid Open House.
The following will be required as part of the application process:
- A cover letter outlining your interest in biomedical imaging and the Advanced Fellowship, and indicating if you want to be considered for the Outgoing or Incoming Fellowship.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Letters of recommendation from at least 3 references
- Research proposal
- Declaration on Ethics Issues
- Responses to 3 essay questions
Specific instructions for these components can be found on the application site.
Other documentation required
- Photocopy of national identity card or passport
- Certified copy of academic transcripts
- Documentation certifying the research experience of at least 4 years
- Applicants outgoing: They must prove, by a certificate from the municipal register their residence in Spain for at least two years of the last three before the end date of the application deadline. For applicants who have had work activity, may replace the certificate of registry for a copy of his employment contract, which demonstrate that the development of its core business in Spain for at least two years of the last three years prior to the end date the application deadline.
- Incoming applicants must prove their residence outside Spain by official documents equivalent to the Spanish municipal census in the country or countries concerned, for at least two years of the last three years preceding the date of end of application deadline. For applicants who have had work activity, may replace the certificate of registry for a copy of your contract of employment or other documents that can demonstrate the development of its core business outside Spain for at least two years of the last three years prior to the date of final application deadline.
- Application form duly completed
Initially, the Advanced Fellowship lasts for 12 months and it can be prolonged with a 24-month contract, provided that there is a host organization (university, research centre, hospital or firm) based in Madrid that hires the researchers during the second and third year. Host organizations will have a co-financing of up to 57% for the expenses of hiring the researchers.
We strongly urge that you complete the application in the English site above; if you would like to see the instructions in Spanish, please click here: http://mvisionconsortium-es.csail.mit.edu
Once these items are uploaded onto the application site, the applications will be evaluated by a panel of experts using criteria of (a) the applicant’s research experience, (b) the environment for the research, (c) the impact and benefit for the applicant’s career, and (d) the quality of the research proposal. The flow is illustrated here:
The M+Visión Advanced Fellowship is supported by the EU COFUND under FP7. Learn more about COFUND (PDF) +